A Message to Parents

What parents should know:

• It is illegal for a person under the age of 21 to consume alcohol, have any bodily content, or have alcohol in their possession.
• It is illegal to give alcohol to anyone under the age of 21 under any circumstance, even in your own home, even with their parent’s permission.
• You cannot knowingly allow a person under 21 to remain in your home, or on your property while consuming or possessing alcohol.
• You are legally responsible if you give alcohol to a minor and they, in turn, hurt someone, hurt themselves or damage property.

If you break the law:

• Providing alcohol to a minor is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $1,000 and up to 60 days in jail.
• Providing alcohol to a minor, where the consumption of the alcohol is a direct cause of that person’s death, is a felony, punishable by a fine up to $5,000 or up to 10 years imprisonment or both.

Things you can do as a parent:

• Refuse to supply alcohol to anyone under 21.
• Be at home when your teen has a party and make sure that alcohol is not brought into your home or property by your teen or their friends.
• Talk to other parents about not providing alcohol or have un-chaperoned parties.
• Talk to your teen about the risks associated with underage drinking.

There is nothing cool about a parent buying, providing or drinking with underage teens.

Central Michigan Student Lawyer, Todd Levitt has been representing CMU students in Mount Pleasant Michigan for more than 17 years in the following areas: MIP’s, Minor In Possession, Drunk and Disorderly, Disorderly Conduct, Drunk Driving, OWI, DUI, Super High BAC, Super Drunk, Possession of Marijuana, Delivery and Manufacture of Marijuana, Maintaining a Drug House, Retail Fraud, Resisting Arrest, Trespass, Student Code of Conduct Violations, Driving on a Suspended License, Reckless Driving, Leaving the Scene of an Accident, Failing to Report an Accident, Driver License Restoration, and any misdemeanor or felony.

Todd Levitt can be reached for a free consultation or appointment at 989-772-6000