Counseling Services for Students
Levitt Law Firm:
Central Michigan University offers a variety of services for its students. One of the many services that CMU offers is the counseling center.
CMU’s Counseling Center provides a variety of free services for currently enrolled CMU students. The services are intended to be short and time-limited- yet still provide the student with the help they need.
CMU Counseling Services include:
- confidential individual counseling
- group counseling
- an urgent situation or crisis
- identity concerns
- alcohol/drug abuse
- eating concerns
- college transitions
- stress management
- relationship concerns
- couples concerns
- family stress
- relapse prevention
- sexual orientation
- strengthening coping skills
- and personal growth and development
- improving academic success by reducing stress and focused anxiety (e.g., test, math, speech)
- learning study and time management skills
- primary and secondary survivors of sexual and domestic violence, stalking, and harassment
- Other concerns regarding day-to-day life, school, family, etc
If there is immediate or imminent violence, or threats by a student to himself / herself or others, ALWAYS call 911
For any counseling emergency or urgent situations that DO occur during regular office hours please contact the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381.
- 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday – Friday Fall and Spring Semesters including the week before each semester
- At other times when the university is open hours are 8:00 am to noon and 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
After Hours Emergencies
During most weeks of the fall and spring semesters when classes are in session, counselors are available to assist university personnel and currently enrolled CMU students for after hours serious mental health related emergencies. Counselors may be contacted through the CMU police at 989-774-3081, if on campus by dialing 911, or for students living on campus by contacting your Residence Hall Director or apartment manager. Counseling Center after hours emergency on-call services are limited to assisting university personnel in their work with CMU students and assisting currently enrolled CMU students.
Various community emergency services are available:
- Listening Ear Crisis & Referral Helpline (open 24 hrs./day) 989-772-2918
- Sexual Aggression Peer Advocates: 989-774-CALL (2255)
- Women’s Aid Crisis Helpline (open 24 hrs./day) 989-772-9168
- McLaren Central Michigan Hospital Emergency Room, 1221 South Drive, Mt. Pleasant (open 24 hrs/day) 989-772-6700
- Community Mental Health of Central Michigan on-call mental health professionals may be reached at 989-772-5938.
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a national, 24-hour, and toll-free suicide prevention service available to all those seeking help in suicidal crisis. Individuals seeking help can dial 1-800-273-TALK (8255). They will be routed to the closest possible provider of mental health and suicide prevention services. The NSPL website is www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/about/default.aspx
per the counseling center
The counseling center also provides groups and workshops to help assist students:
CALL 989-774-3381 FOR INFORMATION
Grief and Loss Support Group An opportunity to share, explore, and work through your grief with others who have experienced loss. Join Julie Wellman, MA, LLPC on Fridays starting February 6 – April 24, 2015 in Foust Hall 103 from 2:00p – 2:50p. Questions? Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Julie [email protected]
International Student Support Group This 1 hour support group running for the fall semester aims to explore your thoughts and feelings about arriving and studying in a new country, as well as offering new perspectives and skills to cope with situations that involve interacting in a different way. Every Friday, starting January 23, 3:00p – 4:30p. Foust Hall 103. Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Chun Fang Frank Kuo, Ph.D., LLP [email protected]
Coming Out Support Group A confidential, counselor-facilitated support group for individuals at any stage of the coming out process. Please call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Seth Courrage [email protected] to inquire about time and date.
Labyrinth Workshops.The Counseling Center has a 24-foot diameter canvas labyrinth. Labyrinth workshops are available for classes and RSOs. The labyrinth path is a symbol for one’s life journey and can be walked individually or collectively. The walk offers opportunities for reflection, relaxation, creativity, problem solving, and team building. Please contact Michelle Bigard at [email protected] or by calling 774-3381.
per Central Michigan University, and the counseling center
For more information regarding the counseling center: https://www.cmich.edu/ess/studentaffairs/CounselingCenter/Pages/default.aspx
*All information was gathered, and compiled via Central Michigan University and the counseling center. This information is intended to help students of Central Michigan University get the help they need.